Monday, November 2, 2015
Peter J. Mucha, Dept. of Mathematics University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
I have no sports expertise. I give myself points for having tried many sports, even if I excelled at none of them. I might hold the record for lowest season batting average in my home town's little league. I like math. I like sports. Maybe I occasionally have something interesting to say in the intersection.
While having no experience in big time collegiate athletics, I am an enthusiastic participant and viewer of numerous sports, especially Ultimate, volleyball, spikeball, and soccer.
- ''Mutually-antagonistic interactions in baseball networks,'' S. Saavedra, S. Powers, T. McCotter, M. A. Porter and P. J. Mucha, Physica A 389, 1131-1141 (2010).
- ''Random Walker Ranking for NCAA Division I-A Football,'' T. Callaghan, M. A. Porter and P. J. Mucha, American Mathematical Monthly, 114, 761-777 (2007) [arXiv:physics/0310148].
- ''The Bowl Championship Series: A Mathematical Review,'' T. Callaghan, P. J. Mucha and M. A. Porter, Notices of the American Mathematical Society 51, 887-893 (2004).
- College Football Ranking Comparison
- Peter Wolfe's site
- Sci/Tech - Google News
- Sports - Google News
- The Fifth Down
- Advanced NFL Stats
- Harvard Sports Analysis Collective
- Quantum Chaotic Thoughts
- Random Walker Rankings through October 24, 2015
- Rankings through October 17, 2015
- Rankings through December 7, 2014
- Rankings through November 22, 2014
- Rankings through November 15, 2014
- Rankings through November 8, 2014
- Rankings through November 1, 2014
- Rankings through October 18, 2014
- Rankings through October 11
- Rankings as of October 5
Image at top of sidebar taken from ESPN The Magazine article about our work (issue dated Nov. 10, 2003).
Copyright © 2003-2011 Peter J. Mucha, 2012-2017 Thomas Callaghan. This blog is neither a publication of the University of North Carolina (UNC) nor Georgia Institute of Technology (GT), where this work began. Neither UNC nor GT are responsible for editing or examining its content. The authors of this blog are solely responsible for the content of, and retains all rights to any and all materials created for these pages.